I love baking whole chickens. It’s super easy just to toss one on my roasting rack, coat it with some spices and let it bake for a couple of hours. Then I usually toss the bones in a crock pot overnight and make chicken stock with them for soup, which I often make with the leftover chicken the next day.
We spice our chickens a variety of ways, but everyone’s favorite way to have a roasted chicken is with my paprika spice recipe. I’ve been making it for a few years now, and the girls love it so much I can hardly keep their fingers out of the spice bowl when I’m making dinner. I always have to make extra!
I have started making a big enough batch for that night’s chicken plus enough to fill a spice jar so I don’t have to make it the next time we want a tasty roasted chicken. I have also used the spice on chickens in the crock pot, and those come out delicious as well!
This recipe should make enough for 2 chickens, so you can adjust it up and down to meet your needs.
Paprika Chicken Spice Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Rinse your chicken and pat dry.
- Rub the spice into your chicken and bake as usual. Chickens usually take close to 2 hours to roast at our altitude if I bake them at 375° F.