I love smoothies during the summer, but lately I’ve been trying to incorporate even more vegetables into our diet. I have been reading a lot about the benefits of a green smoothie, so I decided to give it a shot.
I always read that you need a really good blender – like a Blendtec Blender – to make green smoothies super smooth. So I figured our Ninja blender could do a good enough job. It blended everything up really well, but I couldn’t get it quite as smooth as I’d like.
That's why we ended up with a Blendtec Blender – and I'll never look back! It's the most amazing blender I could ever imagine. The right blender makes all the difference when you're making a green smoothie.
Here’s my basic green smoothie recipe.
- 2 cups of filtered water (the colder the better)
- 10-12 cups of chopped organic leafy greens (spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, chard, arugula, etc.)
- 2 stalks of organic celery, sliced
- Up to 1 cup of fresh green organic herbs such as parsley or cilantro (optional)
- 2 organic apples or pears (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 organic banana
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice
- Put water and leafy greens in your blender
- Blend, starting on low speed and increasing speed, until the mix is smooth
- Add your celery, herbs and apples/pears, and continue blending
- Finally, add the banana and lemon juice and blend until smooth
- This green smoothie recipes makes about 4 servings. I like to pour it into pint-sized mason jars and store in the refrigerator so it’s easy just to grab a jar in the morning. They should last for about 2-3 days refrigerated.
It takes a lot of people a while to get used to the taste of a real green smoothie. You can add some ice to your blender as well; the extra chill may help you adjust to the taste.