Whenever we get gummy vitamins, the girls go crazy and want to eat them like candy. Unfortunately, I’m not always pleased with the ingredients in those gummies, so I decided to make my own!
Since I recently shared my recipe for homemade jello and I have quality gelatin in the house, I decided to use that as a base for gummy probiotics. Not only are the girls getting a dose of probiotics with these yummy treats, they are also getting great health benefits from the grassfed gelatin!
You could also use other powdered supplements like Vitamin C or Magnesium – or whatever supplement you need to get into your kid’s system!
This recipe uses a very simple process that incorporates ingredients we already had in our house. You can swap juices and fruit to make a flavor your little ones will love! And hey, mama can use a healthy treat too, right?
Recipe: Homemade Blueberry Lemonade Probiotic Gummy Snacks
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice
- ½ cup organic apple juice
- ½ cup organic blueberries
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- ¼ cup grass-fed gelatin
- 1 tablespoon probiotic powder
- Heat your juices and blueberries in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally until your blueberries are soft.
- Add the honey and stir until it’s totally incorporated into the mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until its smooth.
- Take it off the heat and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Very slowly whisk in the gelatin, a little at a time. If you mix too much in at a time, you’ll get big lumps.
- Add the probiotic powder and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a silicone mold. If you don’t have a silicone mold, you can pour into a pan and cut into cubes.
- Place in the fridge and allow to chill completely. This will probably take about 30 minutes (you’ll probably be fending your kids off from getting into them because they’re so excited – at least that’s what happens at my house).
- I store them in the fridge so they last longer.