Last Thanksgiving I was determined to come up with a Pecan Pie recipe that was gluten free, dairy free and egg free. That part was pretty easy, it was finding a recipe that was also free of refined sugars and GMO that was difficult. Almost all of the recipes called for corn syrup or corn starch.
I stumbled upon a recipe for Pecan Pie Bars on Without Adornment that looked very interesting. All of my pie pans were already full of other pies, so I decided to give this recipe a try, with some modifications.
I was very happy with how they turned out! Everyone in the house enjoyed them and I’ll definitely be making this recipe again!
Pecan Pie Bars Recipe
Pecan Filling Ingredients
- 1 ¾ cups Chopped Pecans
- 1/3 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Raw Honey
- ¼ cup Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ground Flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon Tapioca Starch or Arrowroot Powder
- 2 tablespoons Almond Milk
- Real Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Put crust ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix until combined.
- Press the mixture into your prepared baking pan and place in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust starts to turn brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, honey and vanilla extract.
- Bring ingredients to a boil and simmer for around 5 minutes, whisking it constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- While the mixture is cooling, toast your pecans in a pan on medium heat for 5-8 minutes, or until they smell like roasted pecans, stirring frequently. Be careful not to burn the pecans.
- After they’re toasted, remove the pan from heat and sprinkle with Real Salt.
- In another small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed, tapioca (or arrowroot) and almond milk. Allow it sit for a few minutes.
- After the sugar-oil mixture is cooled, whisk in the almond milk mixture until it’s smooth and well combined.
- Mix in your toasted pecans and mix until well combined. Pour the pecan mixture onto the cooled crust and distribute evenly.
- Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes or until the filling starts to set and it loses its shine.
- Remove the pan from oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- Transfer it to the fridge and chill for at least an hour (I left mine in the fridge for several hours).
- Cut into portions and serve.