I was never much of a beef eater… I always opted for fish or chicken. That is until we moved to Uruguay and I discovered grass fed beef. It’s so much better than corn-fed beef. Not only in taste, but in nutrition as well.
Here are a few facts about grass fed beef:
- It’s a more natural, humane and sustainable way of farming
- Grass is the natural food for cattle, not grains (corn is a grain)
- Feeding on grains can necessitate the use of anitbiotics
- Grass-fed beef is lower in both fat and calories than grain-fed beef
- Grass-fed beef is higher in Omega-3 fatty acids and beta-carotene
Ever since we moved back to the US, I’ve had a hard time eating beef knowing that it doesn’t have the same taste or nutritional value, not to mention the inhumane treatment to cows and the impact to our environment that conventional beef farming has.
(If you haven’t seen Food, Inc. yet, you need to watch it. It’ll give you a great overview of conventional farming practices in the US.)
I have found a great company that farms grass-fed beef in the US—La Cense Beef. If you haven’t checked them out yet, you should.
They’re currently running a great special if you’re looking to try out grass-fed beef on a budget.
I’m currently looking for a meat CSA in our area that does grass-fed beef, which should make it even more economical, so hopefully I should have an update on that in the next few months.
If your family currently enjoys grass-fed beef, where do you find is the best place to purchase it?