Are you looking for a delicious vegetarian recipe for Meatless Monday? These Honey Lime Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Vegetarian Tacos are the best!
Participating in Meatless Mondays with your family can be a great way to have a positive effect on our environment. Especially if you tend to purchase more conventionally raised meat.
We try to purchase pastured meat as often as possible (I find Butcher Box to be the easiest source to order from!). However, we do buy conventional meat on occasion, so we like to balance that by eating a few vegetarian meals each week.
Since I have lived in California nearly all of my life (only 13 months elsewhere!), Mexican food is a huge part of my diet. It's seriously my go to!
There aren't a ton of Mexican dishes that are traditionally prepared for vegetarians, but it's super easy to modify recipes to be veggie based. One of the easiest Mexican meals to prepare with a vegetarian flair are tacos. You can stuff them with literally anything!
I love how sweet potatoes absorb the flavors of the other foods and spices they're prepared with, so I like to add them to tacos (and burritos and enchiladas and pretty much anything!). Add some black beans, corn, cheese and the right seasoning and you have vegetarian tacos the whole family will gobble up.
Next time you're meal planning for Meatless Monday, add these Honey Lime Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Vegetarian Tacos to the lineup. You'll be glad you did! They cook super fast and they're delicious too.
This recipe will make 4-6 servings, so if you have a larger family, you can adjust the quantities accordingly. Enjoy!
Honey Lime Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Corn Vegetarian Tacos
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas (may also use flour)
- Toppings: Feta cheese, additional cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, fresh salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place cubed sweet potatoes on top. Drizzle on 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss potatoes so they’re evenly coated. Sprinkle on the spices and toss again to ensure the spices are evenly distributed. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, tossing half way through.
- While potatoes are baking, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat-high heat. Add diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low setting and add corn, black beans, fresh lime juice and honey.
- Once potatoes have finished roasting, toss them into the skillet with chopped cilantro.
- Serve sweet potato filling in warm tortillas with feta cheese and additional cilantro as well as any other preferred toppings.