This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons.
Growing up, we went fishing nearly every weekend. One of my favorite ways to eat the fish we caught was fried in my Dad’s special batter.
Unfortunately, after going gluten free, I had to stop eating fried fish. As much as I love grilled and broiled fish, I missed fried fish.
So, I decided to experiment with frying fish in gluten free flours. I picked up some basic white fish to use because of the mild flavor that goes well with many dishes (this week, you can get tilapia, catfish and swai on sale at Albertsons for $3.99 per pound – such a great deal).
We were all very happy with how the coconut fried fish turned out! This fish goes great with roasted asparagus (also on sale at Albertsons this week for $2.99 per pound). If you don’t like asparagus, Albertsons also has their Essential Everyday frozen vegetables on sale – 10 for $10.
And we like to have a side of rice or quinoa along with our fish and vegetables, but if you’re grain free, you can just double up on the veggies or add a salad.
Coconut Fried Fish Recipe
- 1 pound of white fish (like swai, tilapia, etc.)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean Jerk seasoning
- 1 pastured egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the flours and jerk seasoning.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg with the milk until light and fluffy.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the fish into 1-2” pieces.
- Dip the fish in the egg, then dredge it through the flour.
- Place the fish in the frying pan and cook on both sides until browned and cooked through. The coconut flour will absorb a lot of coconut oil, and you may have to add more if you’re doing a second batch of fish in the same pan.
- Serve with a side of rice or quinoa and your favorite vegetables.
Be sure to check your local Albertsons circular to see if these items are on sale at your local store. Also, be sure to check out all the great items on sale during this last week of their Stock Up Sale!