We have been trying to cut back on animal-based foods (more on that in a later post), so I am experimenting with some new recipes that will allow us to enjoy comfort foods without the use of animal-based ingredients.
Here is my recipe for dairy-free hot cocoa:
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (we used Ghiradelli)
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined sugar
- 1 pinch pure sea salt
- 3-4 cups almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Start boiling the water in a saucepan.
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and sea salt and mix into boiling water.
- Once the mixture starts to come to a boil, reduce heat and simmer and stir for about 2 minutes (make sure it doesn't scorch).
- Stir in 3-4 cups of almond milk (depending upon how rich you want it).
- Once it's getting pretty warm, add the organic vanilla.
- Continue to stir and heat until the mixture is very hot – but don't bring it to a boil
- Remove from heat and pour into mugs.
- You can add a little almond milk to the mixture if you need to cool it down quickly for eager little ones (like mine).