Last Updated on
Our semi-homemade Cream of Tomato soup recipe is an easy and delicious alternative to canned soups. And, it’s even better paired with Garlic Parmesan Sourdough Toast!
You know how there are some flavors that just bring you back to your childhood? Cream of Tomato soup is one of those flavors for me.
Over the years as I’ve started making more things from scratch, the stuff from the can just doesn’t do it for me anymore. That’s why I started making my own homemade cream of tomato soup. You’d be surprised by how easy it really can be!
This recipe is actually more of a semi-homemade recipe since it does use canned tomatoes. That’s why it’s such a quick recipe to make. You can vary the flavor a bit by choosing canned tomatoes that are roasted or with garlic and Italian spices added.
One of the things that a good bowl of Cream of Tomato soup really needs to bring the flavors to life is a delicious slice of Garlic Parmesan Sourdough Toast. The flavors complement each other perfectly! I like to dip my sourdough toast into the Cream of Tomato soup – there’s not much better than that!
If you’re looking for a delicious homemade cream of tomato soup recipe to keep your family warm and nourished on a cold day, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think by leaving a rating!
Semi-Homemade Cream of Tomato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Sourdough Toast
Cream of Tomato Soup
Cream of Tomato Soup
- In a large sauce pan, saute the diced onion in the butter for about 5 minutes or until it starts to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, and continue to saute until the onions and garlic are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and heavy cream, and stir to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then turn the heat all the way down to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a smoother texture. For an even smoother texture, you can blend the cream of tomato soup in a high powered blender like a Blendtec. We like ours with some texture, so we use an immersion blender.
- Serve in bowls garnished with fresh basil. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
Garlic Parmesan Sourdough Toast
- Spread a thin layer of butter over each slice of bread.
- Season the bread with garlic powder, salt, parsley and paprika, then top with 1-2 teaspoons of grated Parmesan.
- Toast in the toaster oven for 2-3 minutes and serve with the cream of tomato soup. It tastes amazing dipped in the soup!