Last Updated on
Just because a snack is tasty doesn’t mean it can’t be healthy too! I love experimenting with fun new snacks that both the kids and the adults will love. I do better on a higher protein (lower carb) diet, so I like sneaking protein into my snacks to keep me going during the day.
All of the ingredients in this snack recipe are healthful, so you can happily indulge in a couple for a morning or afternoon pick-me-up! To mix up, you can also swap the dried cherries for dried berries too!
Chocolate Almond Quinoa Protein Bites Recipe
Ingredients for Bites
- ⅓ cup organic quinoa (uncooked)
- ⅔ cup filtered water
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup protein powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (I like to fresh grind mine in a coffee grinder)
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- 30 whole natural almonds
Ingredients for Drizzle
- 4 packets stevia
- 1-½ teaspoons raw, local honey
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil (I like Tropical Traditions and Nutiva)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cover the cherries with warm water and set aside.
- In small pot, bring quinoa and water to a boil then cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from stove and chill for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the cherries.
- In food processor or blender, combine quinoa, cherries, protein powder, ground flax and almond butter.
- Form into balls or use silicone mold to form your favorite shape. Here’s the mold I used to make hearts.
- Press 2 almonds into each bite and chill for 1 hour.
- Five minutes before time is up, combine the drizzle ingredients and stir until well combined.
- I use these condiment bottles to apply the dark chocolate drizzle in a zig zag pattern.
- Store the bites covered in the refrigerator.
- These tasty bites will be great in lunches or for after-school snacks too! They’re sure to be a hit at any play date.