Are you looking for an easy, yet delicious gluten free Instant Pot dinner idea? This pressure cooker Asian Beef & Brown Rice is delicious and easy to make.
While I love my Instant Pot Mongolian Beef & Broccoli recipe, I wanted to come up with something with less sugar. So I played around a bit with honey and came up with a nice, simple Instant Pot Asian Beef & Brown Rice recipe!
It’s the perfect recipe to make on busy nights, when you need to get dinner on the table in under and hour and with little involvement during the cook time. That’s one of the reasons I love the Instant Pot so much – no standing over a pan stirring and flipping!
Best of all, this is all made in one pot at one time – rice included. You’re likely to find that there’s quite a lot of variation in ideas when it comes to cooking rice in the Instant Pot. That’s because the best settings and cooking times vary from one type of rice to another.
According to the manufacturer, the “Rice” setting on the Instant Pot is only intended for use with white or parboiled rice only. For long-grain brown rice like what we used in this recipe, you’ll want to use the “Manual” setting on high and set the cooking time to 22-25 minutes, depending on how soft you like your rice as well as any local variation, like living at a high elevation.
While this recipe uses 22 minutes as the active cooking time for the rice, you can absolutely extend this time by a few minutes if you prefer your rice to be on the softer side. Also of note is that this recipe uses more liquid than the 1:1 ratio recommended by the manufacturer due to the added ingredients.
I hope your family loves this Instant Pot Asian Beef & Brown Rice recipe as much as mine does.
Instant Pot Asian Beef & Brown Rice
- 3 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or coconut amino
- ¼ cup sesame oil divided
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1½ pounds stew beef cubed
- 1¼ cup water or beef broth
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- Combine soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes in a glass or other non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the beef cubes into a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade on top. Seal and gently turn the bag to thoroughly coat the beef. Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or place in the refrigerator overnight. Turn bag occasionally for even distribution of the marinade.
- To prepare, add remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil to Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Adjust the heat setting to high. Once hot, transfer the beef cubes to the Instant Pot and discard the remaining marinade. Brown the beef on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the beef broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the container.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add brown rice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add lid and securely lock. Flip the pressure value to the “Sealing” position and press the “Manual” button. Adjust setting to high and set cook time for 22 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately with your favorite sides. Enjoy!