This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Cooked Perfect® Fire Grilled Chicken. All opinions are 100% mine.
Are you looking for the best Irish Colcannon recipe for St. Patrick's Day? Our Colcannon with Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders makes a great kid-friendly St. Paddy's Day dinner!
Ssshhh…. I have a secret. I've been wanting to make something different for St. Patrick's Day dinner for a while now.
I'd heard people talk about Colcannon before, but I didn't know what it was until recently. How did I not know about this deliciousness before? Mashed potatoes combined with sautéed kale? Yum!
The flavors blend perfectly! I was seriously surprised by how great this brand of pre-cooked chicken tastes. It was juicy and flavorful both when it was cooked in the oven and in the microwave. That's because it's grilled over an open fire to lock in those yummy juices and flavors.
In addition to the convenience, I love that it's a safe chicken option for my daughters to cook on their own. They both love to be in the kitchen and I feel good knowing they can't undercook it since it's already fully cooked.
In addition to Lemon Herb, Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Chicken comes in other flavors too, including:
- Bourbon BBQ
- Buffalo Ranch
- Wildflower Honey BBQ
- Zesty Herbs and Spice
- Korean BBQ
- Classic Style
In addition to tenders, Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Chicken also comes in these cuts:
- Boneless & Bone-In Thighs
The Ralphs nearest me had a few flavors in their freezer section.
If you're looking for a new hit meal to serve this St. Patrick's Day, give this Irish Colcannon with Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Chicken Lemon Herb Tenders a try!
Irish Colcannon with Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (or your favorite potato variety)
- Sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups ripped kale leaves, stems removed and discarded
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Chicken Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders
- Chop your potatoes into small 1-inch chunks. You can peel them if you like, but it's not necessary. I find that leaving the peels on in this recipe gives it a rustic, hearty feel.
- Add the chopped potatoes to a large pot, then fill the pot with water and a teaspoon of sea salt. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and allow the potatoes to simmer until they are tender enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare your Cooked Perfect Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders according to the package directions if you're making it in the oven. If you're using the microwave for this step, wait until later so it's still warm.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a colander and allow the potatoes to drain.
- While the potatoes are draining, add half of the butter to the same pot (no need to dirty another!) and heat it over medium until it's fully melted. Add the torn kale leaves with about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Cook until the kale is completely wilted so it'll stir into the potatoes easily. It usually takes 3-5 minutes depending on the size of your pieces.
- Add the green onions to the pot, stir to combine and cook for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot with half of the milk and the other half of the butter (or more if you like!).
- It's time to mash the potatoes. I usually just do it with a fork because I mash them with the kale. You can get your hand mixer out if you really want them smooth, but I'd recommend doing that separately from the kale so you keep the texture. Continue adding more milk until you reach the consistency you like.
- If you're using the microwave to prepare your Cooked Perfect Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders, you can do that while you're mashing the potatoes. It only takes about 2 minutes in the microwave so it's quick!
- Transfer your Irish Colcannon to bowls and serve topped with one or two Cooked Perfect Fire Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Tenders and enjoy!
What else do you like to add to your Irish Colcannon?