Are you looking for fun Christmas craft ideas to do with your children? Learn how to make this adorable DIY swirly globe ornament for the holidays.
Teaching my daughters to be stewards of the Earth is important to me. Children are little sponges, and really soak up any and all knowledge that you share with them!
Since kids learn well through play, I like to teach about caring for the Earth through crafts. You can have them create something while talking about why they’re creating it.
We had a bunch of leftover fillable ornaments from some Christmas crafting we did, so I decided we should make swirly globe ornaments in honor of Earth Day this year. This year, we’ll be hanging them on our Christmas tree!
It’s a super fun and easy craft. It can be done at home with your children, at a class even, Girl Scout meeting or just about anywhere children gather. It’s even fun for adults to get in on making a Swirly Globe Christmas Ornament of their own!
Swirly Globe Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- Clear/empty fillable ornaments
- White craft paint, blue craft paint and green craft paint
- Hemp twine or ribbon for hanging
- Newspaper or old towel
- Lay down some newspaper as this craft can get messy. Protect your surface so that when you shake the ornament, it is protected from paint splatters.
- Take the lid off the ornament and add in about 1 teaspoon of green paint. Slowly twirl the ornament so the paint is allowed to move and swirl.
- Add in a teaspoon of the white paint. You will do the same thing, slowly twisting and turning the ornament so the paint can distribute.
- Add your final color, the blue paint, and this time swirl it for a moment before replacing the lid of the ornament.
- Press your finger over the ornament top to hold it in place and give the entire piece a quick shake. Shake it for about 15-20 seconds to really get the paint mixed up. Don’t over do it or all of the colors will mix and the whole thing will turn brown.
- Once the inside of your ornament is completely covered in paint, remove the lid of the ornament and allow it to dry.
- Replace the lid after about 1 hour and add a piece of ribbon or twine for hanging.
- Your Swirly Globe Christmas Ornament is now ready to be displayed.