Last Updated on
When I used to frequent PF Changs many years ago, one of my favorite appetizers was their lettuce wraps. Now, I have to be very careful eating Asian cuisine as so much of it has hidden gluten in it. Even if there isn’t gluten based flours in anything, most soy sauce isn’t gluten free, so you really have to be careful.
Since partaking in the Mushroom Makeover challenge with the Mushroom Council, I have been experimenting a lot with mushroom recipes. I love how the texture of mushrooms can complement so many different cuisines, including Asian inspired meals.
A lot of lettuce wraps have those crunchy noodles in them, but I have to avoid them. Instead, I swapped them out with water chestnuts. For some reason, eating water chestnuts always reminds me of my childhood (I think my mom made a few recipes using them).
I was thrilled with how well this recipe came out. And they’re a low calorie, real food meal so you don’t have to worry about overindulging.
Gluten Free Crunchy Mushroom Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- Prepare all of the vegetables.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron pan, then add carrots, onion and water chestnut. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add tamari, honey and Sriacha. Then cook for 5 minutes, or until everything is cooked through.
- Spoon the mixture into individual leaves of butter lettuce.
- Wrap and serve as an appetizer or a main dish.
Pin It for Later
This recipe was created while serving as a paid blog ambassador for the Mushroom Council.