While I use my Instant Pot nearly every day for some portion of dinner preparation, I had never used it to make breakfast before. I had some leftover gluten free bread that needed to be used up, so I decided to make an Instant Pot Breakfast Strata.
While you can use your favorite meats and vegetables in your Instant Pot Breakfast Strata, I love the flavor combination of bacon, caramelized onion and fresh asparagus. It gives a delicious flavor and texture balance to the dish.
You can prepare this in the Instant Pot inner pan the night before (keep it in the fridge) then cook it in the morning, or you can make it fresh when you want to eat it. Either way, it's sure to become one of your favorite Instant Pot breakfast recipes!
Not gluten free? No problem. Substitute your favorite wheat-based bread for gluten free bread.
Instant Pot Breakfast Strata with Bacon, Caramelized Onion & Asparagus
Are you looking for recipes for breakfast casseroles? Get our recipe for gluten free Instant Pot Breakfast Strata with bacon, caramelized onion, asparagus and eggs.
- 8 strips of uncured bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 large organic brown onion
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 8 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups filtered water
- 12 stalks asparagus, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 3-4 cups day old gluten free French bread, 3/4” cubed (you can use other types of bread as well)
- Set your Instant Pot on sauté mode.
- Once it's hot, add the bacon to the Instant Pot and cook until it's crisp, then remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- While the bacon is cooking, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, sea salt and black pepper together in a small mixing bowl.
- Reserving approximately 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat, add the chopped onion and sugar to the pan.
- Stir frequently until the onions are caramelized, then remove the onions from the pan and give the inner liner a quick rinse and scrub (you don't want to end up with the dreaded burn notification!).
- Return the liner to the Instant Pot, then add about 3 cups of filtered water.
- Coat the inside of a 7 cup Pyrex bowl with butter (or a similar dish will work too).
- Layer as follows, using half the ingredients for each layer -except for the Swiss which has 3 layers: bread cubes, cheese, bacon, asparagus and caramelized onion then repeat.
- Once you're done layering the ingredients, slowly pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients.
- Finally, top the breakfast strata casserole with cheese.
- Using the included wire basket, carefully lower the strata into the Instant Pot. At this point the water should come up to about the half-way point in the cooking dish.
- Seal the lid and set on manual pressure on high for 20 minutes then press start.
- Once the time has elapsed, allow the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then press to vent the remaining pressure from the pot.
- Carefully remove your Gluten Free Instant Pot Breakfast Strata once the pressure is reduced and serve.