While not healthy, this easy recipe for cookies and cream gluten free cupcakes is moist and delicious. Using a chocolate box mix and the best vanilla cream cookies, this simple recipe is easy for kids to help with!
I have always adored cupcakes. As a kid, they’re just fun! As an adult, I like how much easier the cleanup is than with a traditional cake.
Don’t get me wrong. I love gluten free cakes like this Lemon Layer Cake. But when you’re handing sweet treats out to kids, cleaning up the aftermath of cupcakes seems to be simpler than cake cleanup.
Cookies and cream has always been one of my favorite flavors. However, after going gluten free, I had to give that up!
Fortunately, there are so many amazing companies out there working to create good gluten free alternatives to the wheat-based foods we grew up eating. I recently discovered chocolate sandwich cookies again thanks to a sweet gift I received from Glutino after Expo West.
While I wouldn’t consider them “real food” sometimes it’s nice to have a more conventional treat – only gluten free. These cookies and cream cupcakes really hit the spot!
They’d make a great birthday treat for the classroom, a baby shower, a birthday party or another other special occasion. Like for instance a Monday. Mondays are special occasions, right?
So print out this recipe for Cookies and Cream Gluten Free Cupcakes and head to the kitchen to whip up a batch. Your taste buds will be happy you did!
Cookies and Cream Gluten Free Cupcakes Recipe
Gluten Free Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 1 box gluten free chocolate cake mix plus eggs, oil and water as listed on cake mix box
- 2 packages gluten free chocolate vanilla cream cookies
- 8 ounces organic cream cheese softened
- ½ cup pastured butter softened
- 3 ¾ cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Muffin pan for 24 muffins
- 24 cupcake liners
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin pans with cupcake liners and place one gluten free chocolate sandwich cookie at the base of each cupcake liner.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Take half of the remaining chocolate sandwich cookies and place them in a ziplock bag and crush the cookies (using a rolling pin works great for crumbling cookies).
- Add the crumbled cookie pieces (including the cream filling) to the prepared chocolate cake batter and mix until well combined.
- Fill each of the cupcake liners two-thirds full with the prepared cookies and cream cake batter.
- Transfer the muffin pans to the oven and bake as directed on the cake mix box.
- While your cookies and cream cupcakes are baking, you want to go ahead and make your frosting.
- Add the rest of the gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies to a food processor and pulse them until they transform into having a fine crumb consistency. Add the cookie crumbs to your frosting, then mix until it's all well combined.
- When the cupcakes are done baking, transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled off all the way, add the cookies and cream frosting, as desired.