Do you want to learn how to make a layer cake? This simple gluten free lemon layer cake recipe uses a boosted box mix for the best flavor!
- 1 box Gluten Free yellow cake mix
- 1 box lemon instant pudding mix (3 ounces)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (or substitute lemon, plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup MCT oil
- 4 large pastured eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (organic is best to avoid pesticides on the rind)
- ½ cup organic milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Two 9” round cake pans
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces organic cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon organic milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Lemon twist for garnish
- Pour all of the ingredients for the cake into a stand mixer, then beat using the paddle attachment until everything is combined well.
- Grease both of the 9” cake pans, and divide the batter between the two cake pans. Bake the cakes as directed on the box cake mix package.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool in the refrigerator while you prepare the frosting.
- Using the stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest until it’s all nice and smooth. Next, beat in the whipping cream and powdered sugar (1/2 cup at a time) on high speed until stiff peaks form (this can take several minutes). Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure you get everything.
- Remove the cakes from your refrigerator. Carefully remove the cakes from the pans and transfer to a clean, flat surface (like a wood cutting board). Using a long serrated knife, cut the layers in half horizontally. To help this process go smoothly, place toothpicks around the middle of the cake where the cuts need to be made and use them as a guide when you’re cutting through the cake.
- Place the bottom layer on a cake plate and spread on ¼ cup frosting, or more if necessary. Add the next three layers, alternating between cake and frosting.
- For the top layer and sides, add the remaining frosting, smoothing it evenly around the entire cake.
- Garnish your gluten free lemon cake with a lemon twist, if desired.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Use ONLY instant pudding mix, NOT cook and serve.
- Do NOT prepare the pudding; use the mix only.
- Use any box cake mix, as long as it’s 16-18 ounces.
- Fill the cake pans no more than 2/3 full. If you have more batter than this, you can divide between three 9” cake pans.
- Cake may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.