It is cold and raining today, and that always makes me crave comfort food. Something warm and filling in my belly is always so satisfying. I make beef and lamb stew often, but every once and a while I like to make chicken stew with leftover chicken. I often reserve the chicken breasts from whole chickens for a second meal, and that’s exactly what I do with this stew.
This Zesty Chicken and Vegetable Stew that I occasionally make is a tasty, yet healthy, meal. You can either eat it all on its own as a stew (making it a great grain free option), or you can serve it over gluten free pasta or rice. If you’re serving over pasta, add a bit more tomato paste or a bit of tomato sauce.
Zesty Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- 2 chicken cooked breasts, shredded or cubed
- 2 organic red bell peppers, diced
- 1 small organic onion, diced
- 4 cups button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 cup organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. I like to use my Good Cook Pot Clip Holder to hold my bamboo spoon on the side of my pan.
- Sauté the diced bell peppers and onions until they’re soft (around 5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan, then continue sautéing until the mushrooms are soft (around 3 minutes).
- Measure your spices and hot sauce with a Good Cook Flip Measuring Spoon, add them to the pan and stir.
- Add the chicken and tomato paste (I like to open my cans with a Safe-cut Can Opener) to the pan and continue sautéing until all ingredients are heated thoroughly (around 8-10 minutes).
- Serve the stew in large soup bowls, or over your favorite pasta or rice.
Good Cook Build Your Kitchen Drawer Sweepstakes
You may have noticed that I used a few Good Cook kitchen tools in this recipe. My drawer is stocked full of Good Cook utensils, and Good Cook is helping some of our readers stock their drawers too! In addition to the 3 items I mentioned above, I also recently added a SMART Ice cream scoop and Egg Separator to my drawer (with more coming soon!).
During the the Build Your Kitchen Drawer Sweepstakes, which runs June 2, 2014 to July 14, 2014, you will be able to build your ideal Kitchen Drawer filled with great Good Cook tools and gadgets. Visit goodcook.com and choose up to 15 items from selected Good Cook products to create your ideal kitchen drawer (just look for the ADD ME icon below participating products), then enter to win everything you selected.
If you can’t decide what you want, you can let the Good Cook Kitchen Experts (like me) help. Simply choose the featured Kitchen Expert Blogger drawer you like best and enter it for a chance to win. My drawer will be one of the options!
You can participate in the Good Cook 5-day product giveaway on Facebook running from June 2-7 for your chance to win selected products you can add to your drawer. There will also be Instant winners! Every drawer entered has a chance to win an instant prize, and participants can submit a new drawer every day for a chance to win.