Tuesday is my favorite day of the week. Why, you may ask? It's the day the Farmers Market comes to town. The girls and I make an event out of it each week during the 6 months of the year we get to enjoy fresh, local produce.
There is a woman at the Farmers Market that prepares a recipe from ingredients she gets at from the farmers and vendors each week. It's always something unique, fresh and delicious.
One week she made a cucumber fruit salad with basil. At first I was a little hesitant to try it – Kaylee actually tried it first. I was surprised that both of us really enjoyed it. I would have never though to pair basil with fruit.
I have been trying to find more ways to add fresh, raw produce to my diet each day, so I decided to make a basil cucumber fruit salad similar to the one we tried at the Farmer's Market. If you aren't a basil lover like I am, you can omit the basil from the recipe for a more traditional fruit salad.
Basil Cucumber Fruit Salad RecipePrint
Farmers Market Fresh Basil Cucumber Fruit Salad Recipe
This recipe for basil cucumber fruit salad takes a unique spin on the class fruit salad by incorporating basil. It lends to a fresh and unique flavor you won't want to miss!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Fruit
- 4 nectarines
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons local, raw honey
- Peel the cucumber, then dice into small cubes and place into a bowl (I like using my Good Cook Fruit Bowl).
- Dice the nectarines into small cubes and add to the bowl.
- Slice each blueberry in half and add to the bowl.
- Mince the basil and add to the bowl, then mix to combine all of the fruit with the basil.
- Juice the orange, then whisk in the raw honey.
- Pour the juice over the fruit, then refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- You can either strain the juice out of the fruit before serving for a traditional fruit salad, or serve it with the juice for a fruit cocktail feel.
- Use the basil cucumber fruit salad within 2-3 days.