Last Updated on
Do you love the salsa verde at your local Mexican restaurant and wish you could recreate it at home for taco night? This Roasted Salsa Verde with tomatillos is delicious and easy to make.
I could literally eat salsa every day. I go through phases where I do. Whether I’m snacking on chips and salsa, or I’m just topping my meal for extra flavor, you can’t go wrong with fresh salsa.
There is nothing like homemade salsa though. While I love my fermented raw red salsa and my fermented raw salsa verde, sometimes I don’t want to wait a few days for the ingredients to ferment. So I make fresh salsa, usually in the blender because it’s so fast.
Zoë has an easier time digesting tomatillos than tomatoes, so I like to make fresh salsa verde when I can get my hands on organic tomatillos. Our local grocery store usually has conventionally grown tomatillos, but not organic. Fortunately, our CSA has them all summer so it’s usually not an issue during the warmer months.
If you’ve been wanting to try your hands at making fresh salsa verde with tomatillos, you’ll love this easy recipe.
Roasted Salsa Verde with Tomatillos
- Baking sheet with rim
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Husk tomatillos and cut in half. Arrange tomatillos in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, along with whole jalapeno peppers and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat.
- Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds before transferring the roasted veggies to a blender or food processor (leaving the seeds will increase the heat of the salsa). Add green onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, and oregano. Pulse until ingredients are combined, but the mixture is still a little chunky.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately or freeze for later use. Enjoy!