Last Updated on
It used to be that I’d make a whole chicken and it would easily last us for two meals. These days, the girls are eating more so I have to work a little harder to stretch a chicken into two meals. We are usually left with 1 to 1.5 chicken breasts after the first meal (everyone prefers the dark meat in our house).
I have been experimenting with new ways to make two meals from one chicken and have found that casseroles are a sure fire way to make it work for us. I love casseroles and one pot meals for many reasons, one of which is there are less dishes from cooking!
I stumbled upon this recipe and took my inspiration from it for this recipe. I made some tweaks to make it a little more flavorful and it was a huge hit – no leftovers!
Creamy Leftover Chicken & Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup almond or raw milk
- 2 cups leftover organic chicken, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Real Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 2 cups leftover jasmine rice
- 3/4 cup leftover organic green peas
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Melt 1/4 cup of grassfed butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- As soon as the butter is melted, whisk in the gluten free flour and thyme, and cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Stir in chicken and add salt, pepper and garlic, then set to the side.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish (I used an old school Corningware dish from the 70s). Read this post for my preference on greasing baking pans.
- Pour a small amount (about 2-3 tablespoons) of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Next, spread the rice into the baking dish, then sprinkle the peas on top of the rice.
- Finally, pour the creamy chicken mixture over the top of the rice and peas.
- Dot the pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter, then sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake the cheese is browned and bubbly, which should take about 25-30 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Let me know if you try this recipe and like it! What are your favorite ways to use leftover chicken?