Now that summer is here, I’ve been eating a lot more salads, especially with my diet restrictions. While I absolutely love my green salads, sometimes it’s nice to have something to mix it up a bit.
I love salads that are easy to prepare in advance, then fill up on whenever I’m hungry. That way I grab something healthy from the fridge instead of the alternative.
Growing up in San Diego, I ate a lot of good Mexican food, and it is probably my favorite type of food. So, I mixed up some of my favorite ingredients with quinoa and this was the result. It can be served cold or hot. I like it cold, but Brian prefers it hot. While I am dairy free, him and the girls added shredded cheese to the top of theirs.
You can also experiment with the ingredients and add your favorite veggies. Enjoy!
Scrumptious Mexican Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package and set aside to cool.
- Heat the black beans and corn in a pan, then strain out all liquid.
- Add the black beans and corn to the quinoa and mix.
- Add the bell pepper and onion to the quinoa, black beans and corn, and mix.
- Roughly chop the avocado and add it to the mix.
- Mince the cilantro and add it to the mix.
- Mix everything thoroughly and place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- To serve, place the salad in a bowl and top with salsa and/or Mexican hot sauce.