Last Updated on
I hate to say it, but the weather is already cooling down at night and the trees are starting to turn. We had a very warm summer, and I think we may be in for a very cold winter.
Cooler weather gets me thinking about comfort foods, and this Sprouted Lentil Stew is one of our family’s favorite fall and winter meals.
It’s insanely cheap to make (around $6 for 2 meals for our family of 4), it’s very filling and it tastes great! Even the girls love it.
I like to sprout the lentils before cooking as they’re easier to digest. If you don’t have time to soak them for 2 days, try to at least soak them for 6-8 hours first.
Soaking is a simple step you can take to make your meal more nutritious.By soaking your lentils (and other beans) first, most of the phytic acid is deactivated and the enzymes and minerals are more readily available for absorption into your body.
Let me know what you think if you give it a try!
Sprouted Lentil Stew Recipe
- 1 package of lentils (1 pound)
- 6 organic carrots, diced
- 1 large organic onion, diced
- 1 medium organic potato, diced
- 4 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 quart chicken stock (I use my homemade stock)
- ¼ cup curry powder (I use [simpleazon-link asin=”B000FD7C5S” locale=”us”]Madras Curry[/simpleazon-link])
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (I like Nutiva and Tropical Traditions)
- Soak the lentils in water for around 48 hours, or until they start to sprout.
- Rinse the lentils well and cook according to package directions.
- While the lentils are cooking, sauté the potato and carrots over medium heat until they’re soft. I do this in my [simpleazon-link asin=”B000SOM5XS” locale=”us”]7-quart cast iron dutch oven[/simpleazon-link] since that’s what I make the stew in.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock and curry powder and bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, around 20 minutes.
That’s it! It’s a simple and hearty meal I hope your family will enjoy as much as mine does.
This post contains affiliate links.