This shop featuring a salad with lemon poppy seed dressing has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RoadTripHacks #CollectiveBias #Vons
Our family goes on a lot of road trips since we live central to a lot of great places to visit with family. I try to keep us on a budget when we go on our road trips, and one way I do that is by packing food. As much as I love a good restaurant meal, it wouldn't be feasible for us to go on so many road trips if we ate out for every meal.
For Brian and the girls, I typically pack a bunch of sandwich supplies – bread, peanut butter, jelly, lunch meat, cheese and mayo. However, I have yet to find gluten free bread that holds up well in the cooler, so I typically pack salad stuff for me – and anyone else that wants some veggies (even the girls love their veggies).
I love salads. You can toss pretty much any raw veggie in a salad, toss it with a tasty dressing and you're set. I love the O Organics Salads from Vons because there are so many varieties to choose from. I have also found that they stay fresh for quite a while. Did you know that the O Organics salads are private labeled from Earthbound Farms? I only recently learned that and thought it was an interestiing tidbit.
Brian and Zoë love the baby spinach. I love the Baby Lettuce and the Fresh Herb salads. And Kaylee will literally eat any greens you put in front of her. That girl is a veggie monster.
The O Organics salad containers are also the perfect size for stacking in a cooler.
Sometimes I like to pre-make salads and pack them in individual size bowls because they're great for grabbing on the road.
Other times, I like to just pack the ingredients and assemble them at our hotel or wherever we're staying.
I like to make my own salad dressing too because there are so many additives in most store bought salad dressings. I make a lot of different dressings like Ranch, Tangy Tahini, Honey & Apple Cider and this Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing.
Packing our own food on our road trips allows us to save so much money that can be better spent on fun activities. If you want to road trip on a budget, I highly recommend packing your own food! Salads and sandwiches are two of the easiest ways to do that.
Here are the recipes for my Powerhouse Salad and Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing.Print
Powerhouse Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
Looking for a great salad recipe to help you use up your summer veggies? Give this powerhouse salad with lemon poppy seed dressing a try.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package O Organics Baby Greens (or your favorite blend)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped
- Chopped chicken or other meat (optional)
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Chop all of your ingredients and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- If eating right away, toss with dressing, then serve.
- If you're traveling with your salad, keep the dressing separate from the salad and add when ready to eat.
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Combine all of your ingredients in a pint-sized mason jar or similar sized jar.
- Close the lid and shake vigorously until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Serve with your favorite salad.