Last Updated on
This post was sponsored by Window Covering Safety Council as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Safety is of the utmost importance when you have little ones in the house! I know that I was a huge wreck about safety when the girls were little.
We had locks on the cabinets. Anything dangerous was far out of reach. The stairs were safely guarded by a gate. The fireplace and sharp corners had foam glued over them for protection.
One thing far too many people forget to consider when child-proofing their home is the blinds! Specifically, the blind cords.
Were you aware that blind cords are a huge strangulation risk with young kids? We tied ours up out of reach, but we all know that it just takes one slip up or turning your back for a split second.
Like that time Zoë washed Kaylee with the toilet brush. Yeah, that happened.
Fortunately, our girls are past the age where I have to worry about them playing in the toilet, let alone with the blinds. However, when friends come over with their babies (and someday when we have grandchildren), I don’t want to worry about their little ones playing with the blinds.
It’s a good idea when upgrading your window covers that you choose a cordless option. As we change out our window coverings, we’re switching to more simple drapes that don’t pose a strangulation risk. If you don’t like simple drapes, there are a lot more options for cordless window coverings available now.
If you need help choosing safe window coverings, you can easily identify cordless options when they’re marked with the Best for Kids™ certification stamp. You can find Best for Kids certified products at major retailer locations around the country.
In the meantime, if there are young children in your home, make sure that you have cords tied up well out of reach – factor in climbing reach!
Did you know that October is National Window Covering Safety Month? Let’s make sure to we all spread the word about the importance of installing only cordless window coverings or those with inaccessible cords in homes with young children.
One child dying unnecessarily because of something so preventable is too much. Spread the word to your friends who are new moms!
To learn more about National Window Covering Safety month and what you can do to make your home safer for your children, visit the Window Covering Safety Council website or follow their Facebook page.