I love creating fun homemade beauty recipes for the holidays like this DIY Candy Cane Lip Balm. It’s an easy, affordable handmade gift idea.
Candy canes remind me of being a kid. We’d sneak candy canes off the Christmas tree, thinking our parents would never notice. I’m sure my girls have done the same!
The scent of candy canes still brings back fond childhood memories. So I thought it would be fun to turn that memorable scent into a useful homemade beauty product. Since we go through a ton of lip balm during the winter months, I thought it would be the perfect choice.
This DIY Candy Cane Lip Balm recipe is so easy to make. Even if you’ve never made another homemade beauty product before, you can make this one.
A little goes a long way too. I got a baker’s dozen (13) tubes of lip balm with this recipe. That’s a lot of handmade gifts and stocking stuffers!
DIY Candy Cane Lip Balm
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles
- 30-40 drops Candy Cane essential oil
- Double boiler
- Lip balm tubes or tins
- Add coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax to your double boiler over medium heat. As soon as it starts to melt, you’ll want to make sure to whisk the ingredients constantly.
- Once the ingredients are melted and clear, remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then add your Candy Cane essential oil. I’d recommend starting with a smaller amount, then adding more until you get your desired scent level.
- Keep the mixture over the pan of warm water so the mixture doesn’t harden (if it hardens, simply turn the heat back on and re-melt it). Use a pipette to transfer the lip balm mixture to your lip balm tubes.
- Leave the tubes out at room temperature until they’re completely cool and hardened before you put the lids on. It usually takes several hours or overnight. If you cap them too soon, it can cause condensation in the tubes, which can lead to mold. You don’t want that, so make sure the tubes are completely cool before capping.
If you like this Candy Candy Lip Balm recipe, be sure to share it with a friend!