Last Updated on
I pressure can homemade goods in them. I store dry spices and homemade beauty and cleaning products in them. The entire family drinks out of them. Leftovers get kept in them. And I even make air fresheners in them.
They have certainly become a staple in our home. I can’t imagine what we’d do without them!
Since it brings me joy every time I discover a new use for them, I decided it would be fun to make a mason jar ornament to hang on our tree this year. And what better fitting word than Joy (which is also my younger daughter’s middle name!).
Mason Jar Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- Wood mason jar craft piece (ours is from Walmart, but Amazon has a lot of options)
- Light blue acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Pipe cleaner or ribbon for hanging
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Chalk or chalk pen
- Begin by applying two coats of blue craft paint (light blue looks best) to the inside of the mason jar. Staying inside the lines of the jar will keep it looking more realistic. Allow the paint to dry well.
- Cut a length of twine and add a line of glue to the mouth of the jar. Press the twine to the glue and hold in place until secure.
- Once the paint is dry, you can write the word of your choice on the mason jar. We chose the word JOY but you can pick any word that will fit. To write your word you can use chalk, but a chalk marker or pen like we used writes nice and smooth and makes for bold lettering.
- Finish the mason jar ornament by creating a loop from either ribbon or pipe cleaner. Add a dab of glue and press it to the back of the mason jar. When it is dry and secure, your mason jar ornament is ready for hanging.