Cooler weather is on the horizon for many parts of the country already and this, sadly, means the end to lots of outdoor fun we enjoyed over the summer.
It doesn’t have to mean the end to fun completely though, and indoor fun doesn’t mean a huge expense either.
Let’s look at 10 ways you can have fun this weekend for free or nearly free.
1. Make sure to see what is free that is going on in your area. Where I live, there are literally so many things to do that are free of almost free every weekend for families. This can be movie nights at the library, crafts and even concerts. The best place to look for these activities is on your community’s website, library website or in the local paper. Also, keep your ears open for free activities that are announced on local radio stations.
2. Spend a day baking with your kids. Come up with some ideas for projects by looking on Pinterest. A great way to do this is to go apple picking one weekend and bake and cook with your harvest the next. Kids love to see how some of their favorite foods are made. Applesauce is a great project to do with kids.
3. Make a play. Make it extra fun by assigning one kid (or adult) as director, one as “costume designer” and have a makeup artist as well. Just playing these roles might be fun..who cares what the play ends up being about!
4. If you have girls, do a spa day inside. Make homemade masks. Give each other manicures and pedicures. Make it an entire day of pampering.
5. Visit the local animal shelter. Pet and play with the cats. Many of them don’t get a ton of interaction inside those small cages. Similarly, go to a nursing home and visit the elderly. I am sure they would love to see some fresh and fun faces.
6. Go back to your kiddo roots and build a fort out of blankets, pillows and furniture. Picnic in there when you are done. It is up to you, mom or dad, to show the kids how the best forts are built.
7. Get ready for the holidays and make cards, wrapping paper and even ornaments. While the holidays are still a couple months off, you will be glad you did this when it comes time to send out those cards or wrap those gifts.
8. If you have smaller children, make some play dough with them. It takes just minutes and can entertain for a while. Jazz things up by adding some kool-aid to it to color.
9. Do a fashion show. This is especially fun with little ones or tweens who want to show off their sassy fashion-sense. Just have everyone pick the goofiest or nicest outfit and turn your living room into a “catwalk” with fun music. Take pictures of your fashion show for extra fun.