Newman’s Own is a food company that was founded by Paul Newman in 1982. The company makes all-natural salad dressing, pasta sauce, salsa, lemonade and steak sauce.
Newman’s Own Organics was founded in 1993 by Paul Newman’s daughter, Nell Newman, as a division of Newman’s Own. It became a separate company in late 2000. Their motto is “Great Tasting Products That Happen to Be Organic.” Their products include organic pretzels, cookies, popcorn, chocolate bars, peppermint cups, peanut butter cups, olive oil and vinegar, dried fruit, fair trade coffee and pet food.
Cool fact? Paul Newman, founder of Newman’s Own in 1982, gives away all his royalties after taxes from Newman’s Own Organics to educational and charitable organizations. Paul Newman and the Newman’s Own Foundation have donated more than $250 million dollars to charities worldwide.
Review of Newman’s Own Organics
We try very hard to avoid eating processed and packaged food and focus our diet on whole foods. However, I’d be lying if I said we didn’t splurge every now and then.
When we do, I try my best to make sure those products aren’t tainted with pesticides and don’t include things like high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. So, when I was introduced to Newman’s Own Organics, I was definitely interested in learning more.
I contacted Newman’s Own Organics and they sent me a huge sample package of products to review. When I say huge, I mean HUGE! Here’s a picture and list of everything I received:
- 2 Bags of Soy Crisps (BBQ and Cinnamon Sugar)
- 3 Bags of Dried Fruit (Apples, Cranberries, Prunes and Raisins)
- 3 Packages of Newman O’s (Similar to Oreos, but better: Hint O’ Mint, Wheat Free/Dairy Free and Chocolate)
- 3 Bags of Champion Chip Cookies (Orange Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Chocolate Chip and Double Chocolate Mint Chip)
- 3 bags of Pretzels (Regular, Mighty Mini and Honey Wheat Mini)
- 2 packages of Fig Newmans (Like Fig Newtons, but better: Fat Free and Low Fat)
- 4 Packages of Licorice (Strawberry, Tangerine, Pomegranate and Black)
- 1 Bag of Alphabet Cookies (Arrowroot)
- 1 Package of Hermits (made with raisins and molasses)
- 4 Packages Breath Mints (Ginger, Cinnamon, Peppermint and Wintergreen)
- 6 Chocolate Bars (Milk Chocolate, Mocha Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Orange Dark Chocolate, Espresso Dark Chocolate and Super Dark Chocolate)
You can find the nutritional facts on each of these products here.
It took us a few months to work our way through everything, but now that we have, I can tell you: If you’re looking for organic snacks that aren’t full of a ton of processed chemicals, check out Newman’s Own Organics.
These organic snack foods taste so much better than the chemical filled versions. And although I know not all of the calories we’re consuming have strong nutritional value, at least we aren’t filling our bodies with toxic pesticides, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils and bleached white flour.
I highly recommend supporting this company. All of my interactions with them have been stellar, and that is a rarity these days.
If you want to purchase Newman’s Own Organics, visit their site to see their current coupons and find a store near you (Amazon even sells some of their products!).
One lucky Happy Mothering reader will win a sample package some of my favorite Newman’s Own Organics snacks, including:
- Barbeque Soy Crisps (even Brian loved these and he doesn’t typically eat soy products.)
- Newman O’s Wheat Free/Dairy Free (you won’t even know! Zoë loved them.)
- Hermits (so good!)
- Espresso Dark Chocolate Bar (my personal fav.)
To enter, visit the Newman’s Own Organics website and leave a comment here telling me one other product you’d like to try.
- Subscribe to Happy Mothering via email or RSS
- Like Happy Mothering and Newman’s Own Organics on facebook
- Follow Happy Mothering on Twitter
- Follow Happy Mothering publicly on Google Friend Connect
- Enter a Giveaway on my new blog, Giveaways and Reviews
Remember, you must leave a separate comment for each entry to count.
This contest will run through Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 11:59 pm EST. The winner will be chosen the following day at random.org and announced on Happy Mothering. US entries only.
Happy Mothering was not compensated for this review or giveaway. The company did provide us with a sample for the review, but this did not influence our opinion of the company or the product.