Have you ever been invited to a party last minute? One where you're expected to bring something to share with everyone? I think we've all had that happen to us. I hate feeling panicked, not knowing what to bring – but knowing that I want to bring something everyone will enjoy! That's why I always have my eyes on holiday recipe ideas.
I love appetizers for holiday parties because they're easy to make, there isn't as much clean up as with a full meal and there are lots of fun ideas! I love making warm, delicious appetizers, but sometimes you only have 30 minutes to prepare – and most of the time that's not enough time to prep and bake!
One of the easiest ways to throw together fun appetizers for holiday parties is to use skewers or toothpicks to create bite sized treats! Take your favorite meal or salad and convert it to an appetizer! That's exactly what I did with caprese salad and antipasto salad!
I was able to get everything I needed for these two quick recipes at Smart & Final. I always thought of them as an office supply store – somewhere where offices got their items in bulk. I had no idea they basically have a full grocery store, including lots of warehouse sized items as well as regular sized items (and you don't need a membership)! I was impressed with their selection!
When I was trying to decide what appetizers I wanted to make, I spent a lot of time in the produce area, which is also right by the refrigerated foods section. Check out their cheese selection alone!
I also spent some time checking out their jarred section when I was deciding what would go on the antipasto salad skewers. Look at that selection!
Kaylee was with me, so she helped me pick out everything. It's always so fun to shop with my girls and get their input. When we got home, Kaylee could hardly wait for me to get to work in the kitchen. She ate up as much as her belly could handle when I was done, so I would call that a success!
Caprese Skewers Recipe
Caprese is one of my favorite salads. There is something just so awesome about how those flavors work together! I hadn't had a caprese salad in while since I try to avoid dairy (even though I adore cheese more than I should), so I decided to turn it into an easy appetizer!
- 12 oz package of Marinated Mozzarella Fresca
- 12 oz package of grape tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Balasamic vinegar
- Cut the mozzarella fresca balls in half.
- Wrap a large basil leaf around a grape tomato and a mozzarella ball half, with the flat side facing down.
- Stick a toothpick through the basil, tomato and mozzarella. Repeat until your plate is full.
- Drizzle some balsamic vinegar over the caprese skewers and plate.
- Serve. This recipe should yield around 30 caprese appetizers.
Antipasto Style Skewers
I grew up around the traditional antipasto salad in Italian restaurants. The ingredients are readily available and most people enjoy them. So, keeping on the same Italian theme as the caprese, we also made antipasto style skewers so we'd have a choice. We went with green olives, red peppers and a white cheese, but you can vary the colors.
- 8 oz package of Dry Salami Nuggets
- Package of Kerrygold cheese (or provolone or mozzarella)
- Jar of olives (green or black works!)
- Jar of roasted red peppers (another option is peperoncinis)
- Layer your ingredients: cheese, salami, peppers and olives.
- Stick a toothpick through them then arrange on a plate or platter.
- Repeat until your plate is full.
- You should get around 48 antipasto style skewers from these ingredients.
These recipes are affordable too! I spent $30 on everything I needed to make both recipes at Smart & Final! That would be enough for a last minute get together!