We started making Snickerdoodles for Santa when Zoe was one (when we were living in Uruguay). My original Snickerdoodles recipe was not gluten free. Last year we made our usual recipe even though I had been gluten free for almost a year. This year, I decided I needed to come up with a gluten free Snickerdoodles recipe so I could indulge too!
This recipe for gluten free Snickerdoodles is, by far, my favorite gluten free cookie recipe that I have ever made! Everyone in the house loved them. They are the most moist and chewy gluten free cookies I have made so far. This recipe will become one of my go-to recipes for gluten free cookies from now on!
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles Recipe
- ½ cup Melt butter substitute (or palm shortening)
- ¼ cup grassfed butter
- ½ cup minimally processed cane sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Real salt
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- 3 cups almond meal
- Preheat oven your oven 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter substitute or palm shortening, butter, cane sugar and brown sugar with a hand mixer it becomes really creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing until it's blended well.
- Add the baking soda, Real salt and cinnamon, and continue mixing with the hand mixer.
- Add 1 cup of almond meal at a time, being sure you blend well after each cup.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20-30 minutes.
- Line your cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients of sugar and cinnamon.
- Make 1½ balls out of the dough by rolling it in your hands, then roll the balls in the sugar and cinnamon mixture until coated.
- Place the dough balls on the parchment paper, around 3″ apart.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, or until golden brown around edges. Don't bake for too long or they will be crisp instead of moist and chewy.
- Allow your cookies to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then move them to a wire rack to allow them to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container if you can resist eating them all in one sitting!