Learn how to make the best Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce with sage and thyme! This easy recipe is nutritious & delicious!
I love a good bowl of pasta. It used to be a regular dish in our home. That is until our daughter because extremely sensitive to tomatoes in addition to dairy.
That fun twist meant that I was off in search for a pasta sauce recipe that was dairy free and delicious. After some tinkering and trial and error, I came up with a nutritious pasta sauce recipe my whole family loves – using butternut squash as the base.
It’s really delicious and flavorful, and surprisingly easy to make. All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this delicious Butternut pasta sauce.
Butternut Squash Sauce Recipe
- 3 pound butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil for dairy free
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 package gluten free pasta Rotini or Penne, cooked according to package directions
- Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- Parsley chopped (optional)
- Peel, de-seed and chop your butternut squash into small cubes (less than 1”).
- Heat the butter in a large pan until melted, then add the butternut squash cubes, onion and garlic. Sautee until everything starts to brown and caramelize (about 10-15 minutes).
- Add the vegetable stock, sage, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer.
- While the squash is cooking, cook your gluten free pasta according to the directions on the box. Strain and set aside
- Once the squash is tender (about 20 minutes), turn off the heat.
- Remove the Thyme stems, then use an immersion blender to puree your butternut squash sauce.
- Return the pasta to the pan, then add the butternut squash sauce to the pan and stir until well combined.
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish.