Learn how to make the best Creamy Chicken & Rice Casserole in this easy dinner recipe.
This Chicken & Rice Casserole is such an easy dinner to prepare in a pinch. If you have some leftover rice and chicken, you’re in business.
If you want to make it dairy free, you can use almond milk and omit the parmesan cheese, but the cheese really adds to the flavor of this casserole so I recommend including it if you can.
We never have leftovers of this casserole though – it’s always gone the first night!
Creamy Chicken & Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chicken cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. As soon as the butter is melted, whisk in the gluten free flour and thyme, and cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Stir in chicken and add salt, pepper and garlic, then set to the side.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish (I used an old school Corningware dish from the 70s).
- Pour a small amount (about 2-3 tablespoons) of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Next, spread the rice into the baking dish, then sprinkle the peas on top of the rice.
- Finally, pour the creamy chicken mixture over the top of the rice and peas.
- Dot the pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter, then sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake the cheese is browned and bubbly, which should take about 25-30 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.