I’m pressed for time most days, but especially during the holidays. Work is always super busy this time of year and the kids have a lot more activities they need to be at as well.
My goal is to make dinner from scratch for every meal, and I hate the nights that I need to grab takeout. Over the past few years, I have developed a cook once, eat twice (or even 3 times) methodology. It means making more food one night, so that we can eat leftovers for 1-2 more nights.
One type of meal that lends itself well to having leftovers is casseroles. I love the simplicity of both making a casserole, and of heating up the leftovers. Even if it takes me more than one pan to prepare the meal, all I have to do is pop a single pan back in the oven the following night to heat up dinner.
Rice makes an excellent base for casseroles, but it takes quite a while to make rice in our rice cooker. Minute® Rice cooks much quicker because it’s parboiled before being packaged.
I chose to use the new Minute® Multi-Grain Medley for this casserole. It’s a blend of 4 gluten-free whole grains, including long grain brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice and quinoa. It cooks quickly in only 10 minutes, and I love the variety of textures in it.
I was unsure if the girls would love a casserole with so much kale in it, but they both said it’s their favorite casserole ever. Kale really does cook down a lot, so it’s not as much as it looks like 🙂
If you’re looking for a delicious casserole recipe to try on a busy night this winter, be sure to give my Creamy Sausage, Kale and Minute® Multi-Grain Medley Casserole Recipe a try.
- 3 bags Minute® Multi-Grain Medley, prepared
- 2 large bunches of Kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 pound Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound nitrate free sausage (mild or spicy)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped roughly
- Butter, for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Prepare the rice per the package directions. Set aside when done.
- While the rice is cooking, brown the sausage in a cast iron pan.
- When the sausage is browned, add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until the water is released.
- Add the torn kale leaves and cook until wilted.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Carefully stir in the flour, making sure it coats the mixture evenly.
- Next, pour in the milk and chicken broth, then stir until combined.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the mixture thickens up. It should take 3-5 minutes
- Stir in the cream, then remove from heat.
- Add the rice to a buttered 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Then pour the other pan of ingredients over the rice. Top with one cup of cheese and stir until everything is combined.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted completely and the casserole is bubbly.
- The girls like to eat their casserole with a slice of olive focaccia, but I love it all on its own.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice.