It’s taco night and you need to whip up some side dishes fast. These easy refried beans are made from canned beans, so they’re quick and delicious too!
If you don’t know by now, Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. I grew up in San Diego where amazing taco shops are everywhere you turn, so it’s in my blood.
Fortunately, both Brian and I are good cooks, so we can recreate just about any dish we want. Sometimes we like to put a twist on traditional dishes like these easy refried beans.
While most refried beans are made with pinto beans (or black beans), these ones add kidney beans for a unique twist. If you don’t have both of these varieties, feel free to substitute the bean varieties you have in your pantry.
Easy Refried Beans
- 3 tablespoons MCT oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 32 ounces canned pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 30 ounces canned red kidney beans with liquid
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Fresh cilantro to serve, optional
- Heat MCT oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!