During the winter months, it’s too cold in many places to break out the grill. So I need an easy way to cook steak that doesn’t include braving the freezing temperatures.
I taught mysself how to cook a steak in a cast iron pan on the stove and broiler oven. My tested recipe is super easy and fast to make.
You do need a cast iron pan for this recipe. If you’re looking for an easy way to make steak before our warm spring and summer weather arrives, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
How to Cook Steak in Cast Iron Pan
- About ½ pound of your favorite grassfed steak, per person
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Real salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Allow the steak to come to room temperature, drain the fluids from your steak and blot the steak dry with an unpaper towel.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Place your cast iron pan on the stove and pre-heat it until it’s evenly hot.
- Melt the coconut oil, then baste the steak very well on both sides with it.
- Mix the salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Sprinkle it onto the steak then pat it in so that it sticks to the steak.
- Use good tongs (longer is better) to put your steak on the hot pan. It should sizzle right away if your pan is hot enough.
- Cook the steak for 30 seconds on each side and turn off the stove.
- Carefully transfer your cast iron skillet (including the steak) into your broiler.
- Cook the steak in the broiler for about 2 minutes.
- Open the broiler and very carefully flip your steak over using your tongs.
- Close the broiler and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Your steak should be medium rare. If you want it more well done, cook for a couple more minutes.
- Remove your steak from the oven.
- Place your steak on a plate or cutting board and let it rest for around 5 minutes.
- You can serve whole, cut in half or sliced against the grain.