Learn how to make homemade Christmas Tree Ornaments with fabric and ribbon. This vintage sewing craft looks classic on the tree!
Making DIY Christmas ornaments with my kids is one way we like to spend time together in the cold winter months. I’m always on the lookout for new Christmas tree ornaments to make with them. I love finding new Christmas ornaments to make on Pinterest.
We’ve been into making more sewing projects lately, so we decided to make some fabric Christmas ornaments this year. While we went with DIY Christmas tree ornaments, you can use other Christmas ornament shapes like stars, angels and Gingerbread men. You can make ornaments in pretty much any shape you choose by making your own Christmas ornament template with card stock.
One reason I love these fabric tree ornaments is because they are small and compact. It means they don’t take up a lot of space in my Christmas ornament storage, which is a huge bonus for me.
If you have a sewing machine and some basic skills, you can be sewing Christmas ornaments likes ours in minutes. They really are easy Christmas ornaments to make if you’re short on time.
How to Make Christmas Tree Ornaments with Fabric & Ribbon
- Use a ruler to draw a triangle with a 4” bottom and 8” sides onto a piece of card stock for the tree stencil.
- Fold a piece of fabric in half on the cutting mat, place the tree stencil on top of the fabric and use the rotary cutter to cut out the tree shape. Place the two pieces of fabric together with print sides facing out.
- Cut a 4” piece of green ribbon and a 4” piece of brown ribbon. Place the two ends of the green ribbon together and pin to the front top of the two pieces of fabric.
- Fold the brown ribbon in half and pin in between the two bottom pieces of the fabric.
- Place the sewing machine to a zigzag stitch and sew along the edges of the triangle tree, making sure to stitch both pieces of ribbon on.
- Cut any loose threads and they are ready to hang on your Christmas tree.