I am a huge fan of casseroles for dinner. They dirty fewer dishes and make enough food for our family to eat for at least 2 nights – that’s a huge time saver for me!
Until a few years ago, I had never even had capers. Now I really love them, especially with fish. However, they’re great with chicken too!
If you’re looking for a casserole to make for your family, give this one a try! It’s easy to make and tasty too.
Gluten Free Lemon Caper Chicken Potato Casserole
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced mushrooms
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small organic white onion
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced and halved
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, whisk in the gluten free flour, and cook for around 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and almond milk, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Thinly slice the potatoes, around 1/4 inch thick.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts.
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic and chicken into a mixing bowl, then pour in the cream soup mixture, along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Then pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer lemon slices over the mixture randomly. You can also squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the top.
- Next, sprinkle the top of the casserole with the capers.
- Cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
- Carefully remove the foil, and change oven to the high “broil” setting. Broil the casserole for an extra 2-3 minutes to crisp up the top, watching very carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove pan from oven and serve warm.