Meatballs are always a huge hit. No matter whether they’re served as an appetizer or an entree, there are very selective leftovers!
One thing I love about meatballs is their versatility. You can flavor them practically any way!
These Salisbury Meatballs have a savory mushroom sauce that’s divine all on its own or served over rice, mashed potatoes or gluten free pasta. You could also serve this dish as a appetizer this fall as well.
Salisbury Meatballs with Savory Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Salisbury Meatballs with Savory Mushroom Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients for the meatballs to a large mixing bowl and combine well, using your hands.
- Form small balls with a tablespoon of the meat combo.
- Heat a large and deep pan over medium high heat then add in meatballs, leaving plenty of space around them (you may have to do this in batches).
- Brown all sides of your meatballs, about 4-6 minutes total time. Repeat until meatballs are all browned.
- Remove your meatballs and set them aside.
- Add the butter to the same pan you cooked the meatballs in, then add in the onions and mushrooms once its melted. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the gluten free flour and gently stir to coat the mushrooms and onions, then continue cooking for another minute. Lower the heat if necessary.
- Next, slowly pour in the beef broth and gently stir to ensure the flour has dissolved, is well blended and begins to thicken slightly. Season with Worcestershire, black pepper and sea salt.
- Return meatballs to the pan with the savory mushroom sauce and allow the meatballs to cook in the Salisbury sauce for about 10-15 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink in the center.