This post was sponsored by Breton and all content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Summer is here and that traditionally means lighter eating – we’re always coming up with new healthy snacks to try. Learning to make healthy snacks can make the summer go so much smoother with the kids home too!
We just got some of the new gluten free Breton crackers, and so we decided to make a new dip to pair with them. My kiddos love dipping things, and so do I. We missed the Farmer’s Market this week, so we’re out of hummus. We did, however, have some large turnips from our CSA, so we wondered if we could make our own mock hummus with the turnips since the girls love them. I’d heard of it being done with parsnips, so we decided to give it a try.
We were pleasantly surprised by how good it turned out! It makes not only a good dip, but you could eat it in place of mashed potatoes if you’re on a paleo or low carb diet. I was eating it by the spoonful.
The girls, however, preferred the crackers LOL. They were eating the Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic crackers and couldn’t get enough of them. The are very tender and have good garlic and herb flavor. As the girls discovered, they’re great on their own. But they also great for all sorts of healthy snacks this summer.
There are a variety of flavors available in addition to the garlic and herb, including original with flax, black bean with onion and garlic as well as white bean with salt and pepper. If you’re celiac, you’ll be happy to know that all Breton gluten free crackers are certified gluten free by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness Gluten Free Certification Program.
Roasted Turnip and Garlic Dip
- Roast your turnips and garlic in the oven at 350° F for about an hour. Allow to cool.
- Grind the sesame seeds into a powder, either in a morter and pestle or high powered blender.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender (we use a Blendtec) and blend the ingredients together.
- Scrape down the sides as needed and keep blending. You can add additional lemon juice or olive oil if more liquid is needed.
- Taste and add spices to taste.