You’ve probably grown up with the “5 Second Rule.” Have you ever considered whether the 5 second rule is actually safe to abide by?
The 5-second rule has been around forever. I remember following it when I was a kid. And when my girls were little, I typically didn’t worry too much if one of them dropped something on the floor at our house, then picked it up to eat it right away.
It just seemed like the 5 second rule must be safe because everyone seems to follow it. Then one day I started questioning whether the 5-second rule was really safe.
Did you know that that the 5-second rule has actually been studied? Well, now you do! Did you know that bacteria can attach itself to your food immediately after it hits the floor? Of course, the longer it stays there, the more bacteria are collected on the food, so the longer it’s on the ground, the more contaminated it will be.
Some of the bacteria could be harmless, but some of them could be especially toxic like e. coli or salmonella. I would feel awful if the girls got sick from eating something off of the floor!
Scientists recommend instead of practicing the 5-second rule, you follow this recommendation instead, “When in doubt, toss it out.”
You might be thinking, but I keep my house super clean! Did you know that Salmonella Typhimurium can survive for up to 4 weeks on dry surfaces in high-enough populations to be transferred to foods? And it can be transferred immediately upon contact.
So if you miss just one spot, Salmonella could still be living in your home. And that doesn’t even cover the fact that most household cleaners are toxic to your health too!
So next time you find yourself following the 5-second rule, stop and throw the food away. It’s simply not worth the risk. When in doubt, toss it out.