DIY Halloween Mason Jar Luminaries are an adorable way to light walkways at night this fall. Learn how to make your own luminary with dollar store supplies.
I have found myself getting the crafting bug again. I don’t know what it is about Fall time, but it drives my creative side! Since Halloween is just a few weeks away (eek!), I decided it would be really fun to make some Halloween luminaries.
It’s so dark on our street (no streetlights), so luminaries will really shine on our front porch, or make a fun piece indoors. So I headed to the local Dollar Tree to get some ideas on how to make some festive fall luminaries.
They have a great selection in their Halloween Party Supply department, so I had a hard time narrowing down my choices. I decided upon two themes: a Trick or Treat luminary made with napkins and ribbon, and a Jack O’ Lantern luminary made with tissue paper, felt and ribbon. The process is the same for both luminaries.
If you don’t have a Dollar Tree near you, you can also pick up all of the supplies at most craft stores and on Amazon. I included links to each product on Amazon in the tutorial for your convenience.
Halloween Mason Jar Luminaries
- If you're using a napkin, cut the napkin to size so that it will cover the entire mason jar. If you're using tissue paper, you can tear it into pieces so that you can layer them.
- Evenly coat your mason jar with a thin layer of Mod Podge. If you don't have Mod Podge, you can make your own using school glue by following the technique outlined in this post to make Thanksgiving Dessert Plates.
- Press the napkin onto the jar smoothly and evenly. Or, layer the tissue paper over the Mod Podge until the entire jar is covered.
- Coat the napkin or tissue paper evenly with another layer of Mod Podge. Then apply cutouts of felt to the jar to make a Jack O' Lantern face.
- Allow the Mod Podge to dry, then cut a piece of ribbon to fit around the top of the jar. Apply it using Mod Podge. You could also use a hot glue gun.
- Once the Mod Podge is thoroughly dry, place a tealight candle inside the jar, light and enjoy the festive ambiance!