Black Bean Burgers are a great alternative for Meatless Mondays. We’ll show you how to make mouth watering Jamaican Black Bean Burgers with Curry Lime Broccoli Slaw.
The weather is cooling off, which means that heartier foods are making their way into our kitchen. However, we’re still focused on making healthier meal choices over the winter months.
Since we’ve started purchasing most of our meat through Butcher Box to ensure we’re eating the best quality meat we can, we’ve been substituting beans and eggs in place of meat a couple days a week. It works great for the budget!
I was craving a burger, but wanted something just a bit lighter, so I decided to create this recipe for Jamaican Black Bean Burgers with Curry Lime Broccoli Slaw. Our family loves different flavor combinations, and I discovered one with this recipe that we all fell in love with.
Jamaican Black Bean Burgers with Curry Lime Broccoli Slaw Recipe
Makes 7-8 black bean burgers
- 1 (18 ounce) bag broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup organic red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons organic cilantro, chopped
Slaw Dressing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (from a can of full fat coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
Black Bean Burger Ingredients
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup minced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper (de-seeded), or to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Bush’s Reduced Sodium Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups day old cooked rice
- 2 pastured eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Burger buns, optional
Curry Lime Slaw Directions
- Start by opening your can of coconut milk from the bottom, not the top. Pour the coconut water out of the can (you can dispose of it), then use 1/2 cup of the remaining cream in the next step.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut cream, lime juice, honey, curry powder and ginger paste.
- Whisk in the chopped cilantro and minced onions.
- Pour the bag of broccoli slaw into a medium sized mixing bowl, then pour the dressing over the top and stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate to let the flavors meld while you prepare the black bean burgers.
Black Bean Burger Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add coconut oil to saute pan and melt over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and jalapeno, and saute for 5-7 minutes. Toss in 1 tablespoon of cilantro, stir to combine, then remove the pan from heat and allow it to cool.
- Add the black beans to a bowl and mash until they start to form a paste.
- Add in the day old rice and continue to mix.
- Now, strain the excess liquid from the veggie mixture from the pan and add the veggies to the bowl with the rice and black beans.
- Add the beaten eggs, lime juice, fresh cilantro, coconut aminos, ginger paste and jerk seasoning to the bowl. Mix, using your hands, until well combined.
- On a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, shape your black bean burgers using ¾ cup of the mixture per patty.
- Bake your black bean burgers at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes, or until they look like they’re cooked through and lightly browned.
- Place your burger on the bun of your choice and top with 1/4 cup of curry lime broccoli slaw, then top with the top half of the bun.
- Alternatively, you can add ½ cup of the ginger lime broccoli slaw to a plate and top with a black bean burger. You can whip up a second batch of the dressing to top the burger, if you’d like.
Let us know how your family likes this Black Bean Burger with Curry Lime Broccoli Slaw recipe!
Please Pin this post to your vegetarian or dinner Pinterest Board!