This year, we baked a 22-pound turkey – and that was just for the four of us! Needless to say, we have a ton of leftover turkey! Instead of eating the same meal night after night until it’s gone, I am working on creative ways to use the turkey and our other leftovers.
Last night, I decided to modify my Creamy Leftover Chicken & Rice recipe to use turkey and mashed potatoes as a way to use up our bountiful leftovers. And I added bacon to the recipe, because who doesn’t love bacon?
The consensus was that everyone loved it! Zoë said it was just like Shepherd’s Pie, but with turkey instead. Both girls had two bowls of it, so it’s not just yummy – it’s a kid-friendly recipe.
Creamy Leftover Turkey, Bacon & Mashed Potatoes Casserole
Creamy Turkey, Bacon & Mashed Potatoes CasserolePrint
- 1 package nitrate free bacon
- 1 ½ cup turkey drippings love this fat separator for separating the drippings
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½ cup almond milk
- 3 cups leftover turkey cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups leftover organic green beans or peas
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Bake the bacon for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Cool then chop.
- Turn the oven up to 400° F.
- Melt turkey drippings in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Gradually stir in almond milk, stirring until thick and smooth (around 10 minutes).
- Stir in turkey and add salt, pepper and garlic, then set to the side.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Read this post for my preference on greasing baking pans.
- Pour about ½ cup of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Next, spread the mashed potatoes into the baking dish, then sprinkle the chopped bacon and beans or peas on top of them.
- Finally, pour the creamy turkey mixture over the top of the potatoes and beans/peas.
- Bake until the dish is bubbly, which should take about 30-35 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- For a little extra flavor, you can sprinkle some cheddar cheese over the top if you're not dairy free.