Growing up, my mom always gave us Gatorade when we were sick. However, now that I have my own family and I’m very aware of ingredients, we try to avoid Gatorade simply because it’s full of ingredients we avoid.
For example, here’s the list of ingredients on “Grape” Gatorade:
Water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural grape flavor with other natural flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, red 40, Blue 1.
I decided to make my own electrolyte drink instead of giving the store bought stuff to my kids. I think my homemade Gatorade tastes pretty darn good and much better than the original!
This recipe is great for the hot summer months. Instead of tucking a bottle of Gatorade in your kid’s sports bag, try making your own. It’s better for you and will keep you hydrated!
Homemade Gatorade Recipe
- 3 cups of flavored Kombucha (we used strawberry blueberry)
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ teaspoon Real Salt (or other salt with trace minerals intact)
- ½ teaspoon magnesium powder
- Mix all ingredients in a quart-sized mason jar.
- Place in fridge to keep chilled until you’re ready to use it.
You can use different liquids like green or herbal tea or various juices, but this is what we had on hand.