Cherry season is one of my favorite times of the year. Our CSA has had some wonderful cherries, and it inspired me to create this paleo cherry crisp recipe. I have been trying to eat fewer grains and I believe it has really been helping with some of my health challenges.
Even though I don’t eat a lot of sweets, I do enjoy a good dessert every once in a while. I wanted this recipe to only use honey as a sweetener so I wouldn’t feel guilty eating this dessert.
If you’re looking for a good paleo cherry crisp recipe, give this one a try before cherry season is over! They have so many health benefits – enjoy them while you can!
Paleo Cherry Crisp Dessert Recipe
- 3 cups fresh cherries washed, stemmed, pitted and cut in half
- 1/2 orange juiced
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup raw local honey
- Bag of unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Have a 9-inch tart pan ready.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until all ingredients are dough like, then take out of the food processor.
- With your hands, work the dough into a ball.
- Flatten the dough on the bottom of the tart pan and press just like you would with a pizza crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Remove the paleo cherry crisp from the tart pan and allow to completely cool on wire rack.
- Put cherries in a pot with orange zest and juice, then add honey and stir to combine.
- Cook on high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the orange juice and honey begin to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Next, putt the cherry mixture into a food processor and puree until all of the big chucks are gone.
- If the mixture is still a little watery, drain the liquid.
- Spread the cherry mixture on the crust.