Are you looking for easy dessert recipes to use pomegranates while they’re in season? Our yummy gluten free Pomegranate Apple Pie Crumble Bars can be served warm or cold!
I love pomegranate season. I know we’re nearing the end of it, but I have enjoyed using pomegranates in my baking this year.
This time we got creative in the kitchen with them. We made some pomegranate syrup and these Pomegranate Apple Pie Crumble Bars. Both recipes came out amazing!
You can either serve this recipe as a traditional warm crumble topped with vanilla bean ice cream. Or you can serve it cold, as bars, like we did. Either way it’s totally delish! Just make sure you’re using refined coconut oil, not virgin coconut oil, or the coconut will overpower the flavors of the apple and pomegranate.
Pomegranate Apple Pie Crumble Bars
Crust & Topping Ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add flour, oats, white sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add melted coconut oil and vanilla extract to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Once the mixture is well combined, divide in half.
- Press one half into the bottom of an 8x8 square baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While that's baking, add the sugar and arrowroot powder to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and water and mix well.
- Lay the apples out in the pan and then top with the pomegranate arils.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the apples and pomegranate arils.
- Return the pan to the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the pomegranate apple filling. You'll want to crumble it in your hands and sprinkle it gently - don't pack it in too tight.
- Return the pan to the oven for another 30-35 minutes, or the top layer is golden brown.
- If you're serving warm, you can serve right away as a crumble in a bowl topped with vanilla bean ice cream.
- If you want to serve cold, allow the Pomegranate Apple Crumble Bars to cool for an hour before transferring to the fridge. You'll want to let it cool for about 3 hours or overnight. Then remove from the fridge and cut into bars or squares. They're great served with ice cream cold too!