I never expected to have a child with dairy allergies. I love cheese and ice cream, so it’s heartbreaking to tell her, “No baby, you can’t have that,” especially because she loves it so much too. So we try not to eat ice cream or cheese around her.
Everyone always asks me, “If she doesn’t drink milk, then what do you give her?” Well, she mostly drinks water, sometimes with an ounce or two of apple juice added.
But, as a milk replacement, we give her almond milk with a liquid multi-vitamin added. It’s super easy to make and tastes great. I was buying it at the store, but there are a bunch of additives in it that I’d prefer she didn’t get.
Easy Almond Milk Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Soak the almonds in water for at least one hour
- Rinse the almonds under cold water
- Put the almonds, maple syrup, vanilla and water in a blender
- Blend until the pieces of almonds are very fine
- Strain through a cheesecloth
- Store almond milk in an airtight container
Tips and Modifications
- Almond milk will last for about 4 days in the refrigerator
- Left over almond grounds are a great topping for fresh fruit or yogurt