I love creating the best pumpkin desserts in the fall. This homemade Tapioca Pumpkin Pudding recipe is an easy to make delicious treat!
I never liked tapioca pudding growing up – I just couldn’t get over the small round, bubbly texture of it. But after going gluten and dairy free, I started experimenting more with grains and starches I’d never spend much time working with.
In that process, I decided to give tapioca another chance. I made the classic chocolate tapioca pudding recipe on the back of the Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca package. They girls loved it! I liked it, but I thought I could make some adjustments to make it even better.
What I came up with is delicious! It even got Brian’s thumbs up, and he isn’t afraid to tell me if one of my experiments is a big fail. If you give this recipe a try, be sure to leave a review!
Smooth & Creamy Tapioca Pudding
- Grain mill (optional)
- Grind your tapioca pearls in a grain mill. If you don’t have a grain mill, you can use tapioca flour, but I like fresh ground best.
- Soak tapioca starch in water for 30 minutes in a 1 ½ quart saucepan.
- Add almond milk, sea salt, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup maple syrup and lightly beaten egg yolks to tapioca starch mixture. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, and cook uncovered over very low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, cinnamon and vanilla and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes
- Serve warm or chilled. You can sprinkle some extra cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice over the top before serving.