These bacon wrapped dates could be served as an appetizer or a dessert. And you can also experiment with what you stuff them with. I
used a hard Kerrygold cheese, but you could do any number of cheeses or nuts. Your holiday guests are sure to delight in these tasty treats!
Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates Recipe
- 20 dates
- 10 slices bacon, cut in half
- ¼ pound hard cheese, cut into 20 small pieces (optional)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Make a small incision on one side of each date, then pull the pit out.
- Replace the pit with a small piece of hard cheese (you can also use an almond slice or nothing for a dairy free recipe).
- After inserting the slice of cheese, carefully squeeze the date to seal up the incision.
- Individually wrap each date with a half slice of bacon, then secure it with a toothpick.
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper, then arrange the dates on the baking sheet.
- Place the sheet of dates in the oven, and roast until the top of the bacon starts crisping (about 6-8 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the oven, flip the dates, place the pan back in the oven and then continue to roast until this side of the bacon is crisp.
- Remove the pan from the oven again, the brush maple syrup on both sides of the bacon.
- Put the pan back in the oven and roast for another 2-4 minutes.
- These yummy appetizers (or dessert treats) are best served hot.